/tmp (as a RAM disk?) in a small root partition

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:30:09 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> In cases where that's true, it's up to the administrator to make sure
> that there's adequate space in /tmp. If you put a world-writable
> directory on a tiny root partition you've created a disaster waiting to
> happen; there is *no* advantage to such a setup.

    I can't quite see this disaster, because under normal operation nothing
tries to write to the root partition, except for /tmp. So if /tmp is full,
everything should still work fine except for programs that need to write to
/tmp, of course. The disaster is bigger if /var runs full, because you have
several spool directories and all log files there.

    While thinking about this I was wandering if it would be possible to
make /tmp a RAM disk like Solaris does. But this would only help if the
size of the RAM disk would be variable, i. e. if the amount of RAM used for
this would grow and shrink as files in /tmp are written or deleted.

    I know that this question would probably be more appropriate to the
Kernel mailing list, but does anybody here know about a solution? From what
I can see, you can only make fixed size RAM disks.

    - Stephan.