Re: /usr/man -> /usr/share/man, etc

[Re: adding a dependency to the newer version of man-db for every
package that has uses /usr/share/man]

Richard Kettlewell <rjk@sfere.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> >> What would be wrong with that?
> >
> > Too much work for too little gain?
>
> Someone had to modify each package to move the man pages and what have
> you, it'd be a trivial amount of work to have added an appropriate
> dependency at the same time.

3 problems:

1. For the packages that have already moved to /usr/share/man, they'd
have to be re-modified to add the dependency.

2. The dependency is not real: the package's functionality does not
depend on man-db. Suppose I'm building a firewall: I don't need the
manpages, and I certainly don't need the man program(s).

3. It won't work. The actual desired dependency is on the content of a
configuration file, which won't be updated if the user has edited the
manpath config file.

I consider 2 and 3 the real killers...

Steve