Re: Why the GR is not necessary

** On Jun 10, Marc Haber scribbled:
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:52:23 -0700, Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu> wrote:
> > 3) debian as released will -never- release a sources.list on anything
> >     debian calls an official release with the string "non-free" in it.
> >     Not ANYWHERE in that file, not as documentation, not as examples.
[don't have the original posting in my inbox]
Jim, what you write above sounds profoundly fanatic, sorry...

> Will you be volunteering to go to debian-user and repeatedly answer
> the question how Netscape can be installed on a Debian system? That
> question will _doubtlessly_ emerge on a daily basis there.
That probably would be disallowed, since answering such questions on the
Debian-maintained list would be a violation of the Debian policy of NOT
supporting non-free software. So the user would face the situation when he
is bounced as a ping-pong ball between the Netscape supprort ("go to Debian
- it's a Debian-specific problem. It works for us.") and the Debian support
lists ("Sorry... As much as I would love to help you, I cannot - because I
would violate the Debian Policy and Social Contract which would result in my
humble self being expelled from the project. Yup, I know it's fanatism, but
what can I do??". Is it insane, or am I loosing my common sense?

marek