Re: vrms on non-free

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 03:53:15PM -0400, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

> > >      While this does update /var/lib/dpkg/available, it doesn't help
> > > since vrms apparently uses /var/lib/dpkg/status.
> > >
> > >      Is there an easy way to update the ../status file?
> >
> >   Does "dselect update" work?
>      Yes.  Thank you.

Ah, yes, dselect's [U]pdate, with apt method, basically runs apt-get update
followed by those two commands I wrote. apt-get(1) never mentions the dpkg
status file:

       update update  is  used  to  resynchronize   the   package
              overview files from their sources. The overviews of
              available packages are fetched from the location(s)
              specified  in  /etc/apt/sources.list.  For example,
              when using a Debian archive, this command retrieves
              and  scans  the Packages.gz files, so that informa­
              tion about new and updated packages  is  available.

The User's Guide, chapter DSelect, says:

   Before starting to use dselect it is necessary to update the available
   list by selecting [U]pdate from the menu. This is a super-set of
   apt-get update that makes the fetched information available to
   dselect. [U]pdate must be performed even if apt-get update has been
   run before.

It's not completely clear which of the dpkg database files gets updated with
what command. APT people, can this be improved, please?