John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:

> How many times do I have to repeat it.

> DEBIAN DOES NOT INLCUDE NON-FREE NOW.

In German we say, that someone who is shouting, is often wrong...

> There is NO CHANGE to our distribution by accepting this proposal.
> The change is, at worst, to the archive and a few sources.lists.

Debian doesn't include non-free software but we provide some
infrastructure (dinstall, BTS, upload-queues, ftp archives and
mirrors,...) to non-free packages.  This makes life easier for
maintainers and users of non-free packages.

Adding lines to sources.list is not the only consequence of your
proposal.  It also means, that someone has to re-implement the
complete Debian infrastructure for non-free packages again.  And how
can the user find out what packages are trustworthy?  So we need a
non-free-new-maintainer mechanism, a non-free-keyring,...

Now there are two possible ways:

1. Someone will copy the complete Debian infrastructure to some
   non-free parallel project or

2. Nobody will do this job and our users will switch over to other
   distributions because they aren't able to use some (currently)
   necessary applications on a Debian system.

ad 1.: Maybe this "someone" will be a current Debian maintainer, so
       this extra job will decrease his time for Debian.  Is this
       really what you intend?

ad 2.: Have a look at the chaos of the RedHat contrib section, where
       many packages have a very low quality and dependencies are
       often broken.  Do you really want to make it that hard for our
       users?

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--