Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

Quoting Sami Haahtinen <ressu@uusikaupunki.fi>:
<snip>

> although this brought up problems while i was writing this..
> as other shells don't support aliases, it would have to be marked in
> the config with something like..
>
> alias('ls', 'ls --color=auto -F')

With the exception of the quote signs, this is just what I do. I
put this in my .environment file (yes, made that up, guys!) Then
all I needed to do was add in .bash_profile.m4 the following magic:

define(`set', `export $1=$2')
define(`alias', ``alias' $1=$2')
include(`.environment')

I set something similar for .cshrc.m4. Hence any useful
environment variables are propogated to both shells when I run
make.

One problem I /can/ see with this is that m4 would need its
priority elevating if it were to be used in this way. But hey,
*everyone* uses m4, don't they?

Cheerio,

Andrew Stribblehill
Systems Programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England