Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 09:42:47AM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> Maybe it's possible to use a global, say, XML config file, and to have an XML
> parser for each possible shell? Just an idea...

There is a utility/suite called modules. The original paper is

http://reality.sgi.com/dpm_craypark/modules/index.html

The current software (implemented in tcl/tk) can be found at

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/shell/modules*

Note that I do not suggest to use that stuff for Debian nor for the
purpose the thread is about. I just wanted to provide some reading
stuff. The shell-abstraction idea is not really something brand
new. :)

-Peter

--
Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at