    Michael> The only exception that I can figure out for this would
    Michael> perhaps be the JDK and related packages. Is there perhaps
    Michael> some free alternative to this?

There is no effective replacement for either the jdk or netscape at
this time.

The jdk because kaffe is not yet a drop in replacement; a situation
that will get worse if Sun ever alows third-party distribution of
java2 (jdk1.3).

Netscape because Mozilla is not yet building with functional support
for SSL.

Stephen (jdk maintainer)

"And what do we burn apart from witches?"... "More witches!"