On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 12:41:41AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 10:16:58PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > 4. This clause was never debated when the Social Contract was created.
> >
> > this is not true. as i recall it, that clause (and the issues leading
> > up to it) was one of the most contentious. at the time, some were in
> > favour of being 100% free software, a very few were in favour of making
> > no distinction, and the vast majority were in favour of the compromise
> > position as summarised in that clause - i.e. that we will support
> > non-free software but it will always be secondary in importance (at
> > best) to free software.
>
> Can you please point me to a reference for this?  Despite my best
> efforts, I was unable to turn it up.

can't provide an exact reference, there were hundreds of messages
involved - the above is my recollection of the debate around that issue
at the time of the initial discussions, and also of every time the issue
has been brought up again since then...and it has been brought up again
a few times. like i said, non-free software is the most contentious
issue and probably always will be.

> > we debated the DFSG for over a month, with every point being
> > discussed until we were all nearly sick of it. then we voted on it.
>
> Note that DFSG is not the same as social contract; this proposal does
> not effect the DFSG.

the social contract and DFSG were created at the same time. the debates
were intertwined...in fact, indistinguishable. the social contract is
the statement of principles, while the DFSG is the practical expression
of those principles as qualification criteria for "freeness"

> I found the -private archives on master for that time, but could not
> find the corresponding -devel archives for that time.

i've probably got them if you want them...although there are some small
gaps in my debian-devel archives, i think i've got all of debian-devel
at that time. if you want, i'll hunt in my archives and let you know
what i've got.

craig

--
craig sanders