Debugging Mouse Protocol?

Anyone know how to debug a mouse that's started to act up?

A configuration which has worked fine for some time started
to act up on me today.  At the moment:

gpm works fine, X does not.
gpm -R ps2 doesn't put anything useful in /dev/gpmdata
[though lsof reports that gpm has it open.]

I've tried:
changing the mouse
changing the xserver
rebooting

None of these seem to have any effect.  I'm in the process of rebuilding
my kernel.

But, what bothers me, is that I don't have any diagnostic tools to look at
the data stream to or from the mouse.  In principle, I ought to be able to
look at that data and determine if there are any protocol errors, or not.

Anyone know of any tools that would aid in this fashion?

Thanks,

--
Raul