Re: Bertrand Meyer challenges some open-source assumptions.

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 05:33:49AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > It's not my problem.  He is not me and he does not represent me in these
> > or other interests.  Claiming that everyone who supports free software
> > feels this way is an obscene misrepresentation of not only myself, but
> > anyone else excluding specifically him.
>
> Well, now you see the problem. Meyer says it's not clear that Stallman,
> Torvalds etc don't hold the same view. Nobody claims that everybody
> who supports free software likes guns, but nobody is saying otherwise
> either. And Raymond is a publicity engine for free software, so people
> tend to think he represents most free software people. Quite reasonably so.

	It is ad homminum (sp?).  It's dealing in personalities instead of
the issues, it's very poor writing because of this.  It also evades the
question, and seeing as how this person has a specific monetary gain from
the fall of GPL'd software his comments are of very questionable validity.

		Stephen