Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: there will be no XFree86 4.0.0 .debs (please read)

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 05:46:25AM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 11:22:50AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > What is wrong with making a debian 4.0 package, and put it in experimental (i
> > did not say woody, i know you have problems with upgrading unstable).
>
> If I happen to get such a thing done soon, I may do so.
>
> > Debian 2.2 user are using potato, which comes with 3.3.6-whatever and should
> > work ok.
>
> 7 release critical bugs, 2 denial-of-service attacks, and a tempfile race
> would disagree with you.
>
> Fixes for these have been uploaded to auric's incoming as of a few minutes
> go.

Ok, understood, ...

you are not against this in principle, you agree just don't have time for it.

> > What's the problem here ?
> >
> > (apart from you having not a lot of time which is undertandable)
>
> Repeat the above parenthesized words until you fully believe them.

:)))

> > Also you tell you will be repackaging X from a clean start, care to explain a
> > bit what you have planned to do, and how we can help in this process ?
>
> Writing all this up takes time, too.  I've already written one mail along
> these lines and my packaging plans per se have not changed drastically.

The main thing is that i understand you don't have much time for it, but you
don't need to be the only debian developper working on this, there are lots of
people who would be willing to work on this. Maybe following the boot-floppies
example would be nice ?

but then again, i am in no hurry for this, i was just asking, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER