Re: start-stop-daemon : strange behavior

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 09:28:07PM +0200, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > For example, if I invoke start-stop-daemon --pidfile atd.pid --stop, the
> > process is stopped AND the pidfile is removed (but with strace, it seems
> > that this is not a direct action of start-stop-daemon). But with
> > sendmail.pid, the pidfile is not removed, so the second call of
> > start-stop-daemon failed (unable to kill the process), but returns 0.
>
> The reason is quite simple : the pidfile is deleted by the daemon
> itself, when the daemon handles a pidfile. When the daemon doesn't
> handle it, the pidfile remains, and start-stop-daemon behaves
> abnormally.

Well, I have finally retrieved dpkg v1.6.3, and this bug is corrected
since 1.4.1.17.

But a question remains : is it mandatory for someone to dist-upgrade
everything, or can one upgrade just one package (with its dependencies)?
For the latter, does this mean, for example for sendmail, to add a
dependencie to dpkg (>= 1.4.1.17), just in order for the script in
/etc/init.d to work ?
--
Thierry LARONDE <thierry.laronde@polynum.com>
10, rue du Bel Air, 74000 ANNECY / Tel.-Fax : 33.(0)4.50.67.46.61