Re: Potato and a half

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 08:46:50AM +0200, Ingo Saitz wrote:
> MoiN
>
> On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 04:36:28PM +0200, pseelig@debian.org wrote:
> > I'm not aware of any secure routine to safely prevent apt-get from
> > upgrading packages without putting them manually on hold.
>
> Now that's _very_ easy. You just need a list of packages you want
> to keep up to date and supply them to "apt-get install" which
> will automagically install those and resolve missing
> dependencies.
>
> I don't see what you are missing here?

what is missing is you cannot also keep up on security updates by
issuing `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' regularly, doing so will
bring the entire system up to `unstable' unless you futz with the
sources list every time you want to upgrade a couple packages to the
`unstable' versions.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/