Re: Potato and a half

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On 26 May 2000, Paul Seelig wrote:
>
> > Just an AOL on my part, although i''m more or less running potato and
> > a half with selected apps from woody.
>
> I wonder if we could provide a reasonable way to manage this.
> For instance I would like to set for instance X, Apache, Jserv to "hold"
> in deselect but like to use PostgreSQL from woody and also want to try
> any other new packages to get in touch with the latest development.
>
> Any hints how to manage this?

Up until now i used a combination of apt-get and apt-move to manually
maintain two partial mirrors of potato and woody, which only contain what
i actually use. The partial woody mirror even only consists of those few
packages which i used to update my potato installation (XEmacs21, a few
assorted GNOME apps, gimp, assorted utilities).

I'm not aware of any secure routine to safely prevent apt-get from
upgrading packages without putting them manually on hold.  But i hope that
apt-get (or possibly apt-move?) will become able to not only upgrade
everything from stable by default, but that it will offer the additional
possibility to upgrade certain marked packages (configured as upgradeable
from unstable) with stuff from unstable.  But maybe the hopefully to be
implemented package pools will make this unnecessary.

                                  Cheers, P. *8^)
--
If not specific to HP please always reply to
"Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.uni-mainz.de>"