Re: Kernel sound support

Eduard Bloch wrote:

> Eray Ozkural wrote on Fri May 26, 2000 um 01:33:24AM:
>
> > The new sources are a drop-in replacement. The potato versions are
> > at the presenet 0.4.x
>
> Don't forget: ALSA people changed the API in 0.5.x and there is no
> backwards compability AFAIK. So you have to adapt _all_ packages
> that haveno support for ALSA-0.5.x. IMHO it was a very bad solution to
> make packages depending on ALSA, since it is and will stay in
> development. Almost all programs can work with OSS and ALSA has working
> OSS-emulation, so ALSA-dependencies had to be avoided at all. Now, it's
> too late to make decisions.

Most of the significant packages seem to play nicely with new alsa + oss emulation.
I think alsa-0.4.x should be moved to old-libs :), and all the packages
that fall under the new alsa depend only on that. The normal alsa libs follow
0.5.x closely, as I said it's not just a compatibility problem, the 0.5.x
series fixed a lot of bugs, too.

I think most people would be done with a fairly operational oss emulation :)

I'm personally not much interested in esd compiled with alsa, etc... I'd
be surprised if anyone found alsa-specific packages that don't work with 0.4.x
in potato very useful.

Thanks,

--
 +  Eray "exa" Ozkural                   .      .   .  . . .