Re: 2.4.0!

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 10:11:12AM +0200, Paul Seelig wrote:
> knghtbrd@debian.org (Joseph Carter) writes:
>
> > Same principle as the package pool applies:  It's easier to make a few
> > packages stable for release with everything else that is already stable
> > than it is to hack everything and then call a halt to development while
> > people work to stabilize the work that's been done.
> >
> This can't be stated often enough!  I'm eagerly awaiting the
> implmentation of package pools.
>
> > How many developers
> > are already running Woody, regardless of Potato's status?  I know I am.
> >
> Just an AOL on my part, although i''m more or less running potato and
> a half with selected apps from woody.  From the perspective of someone
> who uses his tools it's not the distribution in itself that needs to
> be up to date but the applications one typically uses.  I wouldn't
> mind still running slink if only some of the applications important
> for my work would have been updated once in a while.
This is what i was getting at with the mention of just updating the
packages alot of people would consider important.  This might be a new
gcc(if its stable), gnome stuff, kde stuff, a newer version of X (i dont
mean 4.0, i mean like if 3.3.7 were released), maybee apache or pro-ftpd,
those kinds of things.  I realize that these maybee require more work
testing than the rest, but a small partial freeze will go alot faster on
a 30-40 package update, than on a 4000 package update.