Re: 2.4.0!

In article <cistron.20000525165537.10316.qmail@web2101.mail.yahoo.com>,
Kenneth Scharf  <scharkalvin@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Just saw the following note from Linus on slashdot.
>Guess 2.4 is going into woody, and will miss potato by
>that much!

Well no. 2.4.0 will be just as stable as 2.2.0 was - not at all. I
think it will take a few patchlevels to reach real stability. 2.2.13
was the first stable kernel in the 2.2 series, there have been 2.2
kernels that ate your ext2 file system. The same thing will happen
with 2.4.x. And ofcourse 2.4.0 hasn't been released yet - it will
take 2 or 3 months at least. Who knows, 2.4.x might not even be stable
by the time woody gets frozen if we actually succeed in making
releases faster.

Now if potato would ship with Gnome 1.2.0 and Xfree86 4.0 .... oh well.

Mike.
--
Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it.