Re: 2.4.0!

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 10:20:01PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.20000525165537.10316.qmail@web2101.mail.yahoo.com>,
> Kenneth Scharf  <scharkalvin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Just saw the following note from Linus on slashdot.
> >Guess 2.4 is going into woody, and will miss potato by
> >that much!
>
> Well no. 2.4.0 will be just as stable as 2.2.0 was - not at all. I
> think it will take a few patchlevels to reach real stability. 2.2.13
> was the first stable kernel in the 2.2 series, there have been 2.2
> kernels that ate your ext2 file system. The same thing will happen
> with 2.4.x. And ofcourse 2.4.0 hasn't been released yet - it will
> take 2 or 3 months at least. Who knows, 2.4.x might not even be stable
> by the time woody gets frozen if we actually succeed in making
> releases faster.
>
> Now if potato would ship with Gnome 1.2.0 and Xfree86 4.0 .... oh well.
<ramble>
Well, i dont see XF4.0 getting in, but i almost wish debian would not take the
attitude of 'all packages are equal,' in what gets in.  IMHO it is perfectly
fair for a package that a general concensus of linux users feel is an
'important' to get special privlages, like being inserted in the middle of a
freeze.  I realize that we are actualy late late into a freeze, and that
is part of it.  But i would like to see something like gnome included on the
CD's.  Maybee would could have a dists/unsupported, which has upgrades like helix
gnome 1.2, and definatly put it on the 2nd or 3rd disc(whatever the last one is).

I just think it would be nice if we did release with this stuff.
</ramble>

> Mike.
> --
> Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it.

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.