Re: Wanted: clarification of current non-US policy.

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:01:31PM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> patent:  Any DFSG-compliant package which implemented algorithms or
> techniques known to violate US patents that are not enforceable outside
> of the US.  (ex: GIF-encoders, MP3 encoders, implementations of RSA or
> IDEA, etc).  I believe it was a policy decision that patents may make a

Well, RSA and IDEA would have to go there anyway (as encryption algorithims),
and MP3 encoders are a moot point (because we can't distribute them from
non-US in Germany anyway). While I remember something about gif-encoders in
non-US, there are none currently in non-US/main and there are gif-encoders
(gimp-nonfree) in US/non-free. So I believe this isn't a problem.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu