Re: Wanted: clarification of current non-US policy.

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:11:39PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:01:31PM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> > patent:  Any DFSG-compliant package which implemented algorithms or
> > techniques known to violate US patents that are not enforceable outside
> > of the US.  (ex: GIF-encoders, MP3 encoders, implementations of RSA or
> > IDEA, etc).  I believe it was a policy decision that patents may make a
>
> Well, RSA and IDEA would have to go there anyway (as encryption algorithims),
> and MP3 encoders are a moot point (because we can't distribute them from
> non-US in Germany anyway). While I remember something about gif-encoders in
> non-US, there are none currently in non-US/main and there are gif-encoders
> (gimp-nonfree) in US/non-free. So I believe this isn't a problem.

how about breaking up the thee a bit more. and make a download only
source, for those packages which cannot be distributed on CDs, because
of patents, or something else. Like MP3 Encoders, GIF encoders and
so on.. it just would be clearly stated out that these are availabe
'officially' from this location. Ofcourse this also makes it difficult
for those who don't have an Internet Connection to get this software.

I think that this might be a little late to start sorting this out for
potato anymore, but this might be a good idea for woody...

PS. the name non-US has kind of lost it's meaning by time. i think it
should be reconsidered too, most of the packages are not only non-US
but non-German, non-whatever..
--
get a life, get the second one free...