Re: Does linux-2.2.15 have a serious disk problem? (was Re: End of first test cycle, new packages installed)

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I caught a conversation on IRC where someone was claiming linux-2.2.15 has
> serious disk I/O problems that were present in both ide and scsi. Sorry,
> I don't have the player's names here... could several someones find out
> for sure please? I saw someone guess that it might be a "scheduling
> conflict".

<joeyh_> hey thunder, was it you who had disk problems with 2.2.15?
<Thunder-> joeyh: yes

--- [Thunder-] (thunder@D-128-208-41-133.dhcp.washington.edu) : Cody Pisto

> If this is the case, I think we should use 2.2.14 for the test cycle.
> (who will test if there is a known possibility their partition or disk
> will be destroyed? or better, how many? People with one computer will
> justifiably not, if the problem extends to writing.)

<joeyh_> was it slowdowns, or worse?
<Thunder-> joeyh: slowdowns from hell

If this is a real and/or common problem, I guess we'll find out in the
test cycle.

--
see shy jo