Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 12:49:12PM -0500, Paul Serice wrote:

> Why would Stallman intentionally undermine the very law that protects
> so much?

because copyleft is making the best of a bad situation, it is an interim
meausre (albeit long term). it is using the copyright system against
itself (or, more precisely, against those who have abused and controlled
it for decades)

stallman obviously has no liking for copyright law, but he is quite
willing to use it as a tool to undermine those who would make everything
proprietary.

> So to summarize, my position is not anti-GPL; just the opposite.  If you
> want to protect the work we do, then you have to give other copyright
> holders the same respect you would want them to give you.

no, this is meaningless from a legal perspective. even if you break the
law, you are still entitled to the protection of the law. e.g. even if
i was convicted of some crime, i would still be entitled to protection
against other crimes. ditto for civil infringements, if i infringe on
someone else's copyright, that does NOT invalidate any copyrights i hold
in my own work.

craig

--
craig sanders