Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Paul Serice wrote:

) Jimmy O'Regan wrote:
) >
) > On Tue, 16 May 2000, Paul Serice wrote:
) >
<snip>
)
)
) Thank you for the pointer to www.loc.gov.  There I found the
) following under the FAQ for Copyright:
)
)
)       47. How much of someone else's work can I use without getting
)           permission?
)
)       Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is
)       permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes,
)       for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and
)       scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use
)       of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical
)       notes, or percentages of a work. Whether a particular use
)       qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances.
)
) No matter how broadly you read the "fair use" exception, it does not
) cover Stallman's actions.  "Fair use" applies to copies that do not
) take the essence of the work.  Making a complete and perfect copy of
) the original by definition is not "fair use."  Furthermore, Stallman's
) purpose in making the copy is not to help educate others on the
) content of what he copied.
Are you being disingenuous here? I think you may try going further than
the FAQ, and to the actual laws and treaties. I would have thought it was
most apparent that the answer you quoted refers to *derivative works* as
it refers to quotations.

--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/