Packaging Manual mentions `non-free' and `contrib' as distributions, not as sections

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 04:56:33PM -0400, Brian Mays wrote:
> > Read the packaging manual.
>
> I did, and that's the problem.  I suggest that the packaging manual
> needs to be changed.

Most definitely! It doesn't match the existing situation.

> 4.2.14. `Distribution'
> ----------------------

>      _contrib_
>           The packages with this distribution value do not meet the
>           criteria for inclusion in the main Debian distribution as defined
>           by the Policy Manual, but meet the criteria for the _contrib_
>           Distribution.  There is currently no distinction between stable
>           and unstable packages in the _contrib_ or _non-free_
>           distributions.  Use your best judgement in downloading from this
>           Distribution.
>
>      _non-free_
>           Like the packages in the _contrib_ seciton, the packages in
>           _non-free_ do not meet the criteria for inclusion in the main
>           Debian distribution as defined by the Policy Manual.  Again, use
>           your best judgement in downloading from this Distribution.

These two paragraphs should be removed completely.

I think these were useful in the days of `hamm' and `slink'. They aren't in
`potato', although IIRC dinstall is background compatible.

> 4.2.9. `Section' and `Priority'

>      The section and priority are represented, though not as separate
>      fields, in the information for each file in the `-File'field of a
>      `.changes' file.  The section value in a `.changes' file is used to
>      decide where to install a package in the FTP archive.

A paragraph about using {main,contrib,non-free}/<section name> should be
added here. I doubt wording is important, it's quite straightforward.