Re: Formal objection: Changing how the testing of potato works would invalidate the whole test. So please don't change it.

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 02:58:29PM -0400, Mike Bilow wrote:
> This discussion started in the context of my message about bug 63946
> against kernel-image-2.2.15, which _is_ release critical.  I think sending
> out a release which we _know_ will cause kernel panic on a significant
> number of Adaptec SCSI controllers and calling it "stable" would be a
> really bad idea.  Whether the kernel patch to fix this is applied during
> or after this immediate test cycle is not the major issue: there is no
> point to a test cycle unless we use the opportunity to fix things which
> are discovered to be broken.
>
> In my opinion, it is extremely important that the newest version of the
> Adaptec SCSI driver, which fixes this known problem, be patched into the
> potato kernel before final release.

Of course it must!  But, and here's the critical point, in the
meantime, we want to give the boot-floopies people, CD people etc. the
chance to test the distribution as a whole.  It is clear that there
are RC bugs which need to be fixed, but they are in a holding area.
There will clearly be a second test cycle, but if potato changes every
day, the CD people won't be able to have something static to test; the
goals will keep changing.  I don't think anyone (including the release
manager) seriously intends to release potato at the end of this
release cycle, but nevertheless it will give us very good data about
any other problems beyond those in specific packages.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/