Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 07:54:18PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 02:36:24PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > Remember, Debian's primary function is as an
> > integrator; saying, "We need more time developing the Debian
> > infrastructure, so let's hold back hundreds of improved packages"
> > seems to be giving oneself airs.
>
> As an integrator, saying "we need more time to properly intergrate"
> is giving ourselves airs? Interesting conclusion.

I'm suggesting that integrating per se--that is, adapting packages
to a given Debian infrastructure & policy, as opposed to improving
that infrastructure and policy--does not require many months of
contiguous work; it can be acomplished in a few.  And that getting
out a release that "merely" integrates updated third-party packages,
without any Debian infrastructure improvements, may be a valuable
service to users.

I understand that there are cases in which infrastructure
improvements are necessary before integration can proceed, but I
believe that this is the atypical case.

Andrew

--
Where is the innovation?  Microsoft, mostly.
- Rob Pike, "Systems Software Research is Irrelevant"