Re: Archive is moving to auric / Incoming disabled

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 02:23:19PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > a web server farm using LVS for load balancing and GFS to share a big
>
> Could you please explain for those ignorant people like me what kind
> of beast LVS and GFS are?  If it is not possible in three words (as
> the abbreviation suggest) there is an URl for sure.

LVS == Linux Virtual Server - turns linux into a load-balancing "switch".

	http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

GFS == Global File System - "GFS is a shared, server-less filesystem; each
machine accesses the GFS disks as if they were a local disk."

	http://www.globalfilesystem.org/

i've used LVS before and it's great - better than any of the commercial
redirector/load-balancer/layer-4-switch products, and can be set up for
a fraction of the price...e.g. i built one using a spare old P-133 for
a total estimated cost of around $500; whereas a load balancer like the
ACE Director or Cisco LocalDirector costs about $20,000. (figures are in
australian dollars.  $1 AUD ~= $0.59 USD)

i haven't used GFS yet, but it has obvious applications in a web-server
farm...share the same file system across multiple web servers and not
have to bother with rsync or whatever to make sure all the machines have
the same files. i'm keen to experiment with it and put it to good use if
it proves itself stable enough for production servers.

craig

--
craig sanders