Re: Archive is moving to auric / Incoming disabled

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 12:46:29PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> It's also amazing that reiserfsck is still useless

it's far from useless.

> and the 2.3.x version of it still doesn't grok the 2.2.x diskformat.

haven't bothered with 2.3.x kernels yet, but you have to put up with
odd broken things if you use the development series kernel.

2.2.x has enough weird new shit added to it (they seem to have forgotten
that the "stable" kernel is supposed to mean "bugfix only, no new
features")

> I really don't think we should use it for our archive.

i wasn't suggesting that we should.  it's still unproven in the long term.

that said, i've been using it for months on 3 large production proxy
servers (large == P3-something-or-other, 1GB RAM, 5x9GB SCSI drives)
under fairly heavy load with no problems.

and the few times i pulled the power on the boxes (while i was still
testing them) to simulate a crash, they came up again instantly with no
errors - beats waiting an hour or so for fsck to check and fix a squid
spool drive.

i'm also using the LVS patch to load-balance them, on a separate machine
(an old P-133 with 32MB).  LVS is really impressive...it works extremely
well and was very easy to get going. my next major project is to build
a web server farm using LVS for load balancing and GFS to share a big
bunch of disks between all realservers...similar to the ideas on the
ultramonkey.sourceforge.net site.

LVS & reiserfs are two things i would definitely like to see added to
the standard kernel.

craig

--
craig sanders