Re: Release-critical Bugreport for May 12, 2000

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 11:07:50PM +0400, Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> was heard to say:
> $ gnomeicu
> type = 0 exid = (null)
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 668 (gnome_panel_applet_corba_init): assertion `panel_client != ((void *)0)' failed.
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 708 (applet_widget_new): assertion `corbadat!=NULL' failed.
>
> ** ERROR **: Can't create applet!
>
> aborting...
> Aborted.

  Interesting.  What package versions?

For me the following works:

gnomeicu 0.90b-1
gdk-imlib1 1.9.8-4
libart2 1.0.56-3
libaudiofile0 0.1.9-0.1
libc6 2.1.3-10
libesd0 0.2.17-17
libglib1.2 1.2.7-2
libgnome32 1.0.56-3
libgnomeui32 1.0.56-3
libgnorba27 1.0.56-3
libgtk1.2 1.2.7-1
liborbit0 0.5.0-5
libpanel-applet0 1.0.55-1
zlib1g 1:1.1.3-5
xlib6g 3.3.6-6

  No locale set

> This does not look to be working flawlessly.  I can't even try to reproduce
> what experience Alexey.  I am pretty sure this is RC. :-(

  Here are the release-critical severities:

   critical
           makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole system)
           break, or causes serious data loss, or introduces a security hole
           on systems where you install the package.

  Obviously the bug doesn't fall into this category, unless gnomeicu has
buffer overflows (and then it might fall under grave anyway)

   grave
           makes the package in question unuseable or mostly so, or causes
           data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
           accounts of users who use the package.

  This is the one you could apply here.  However, I and other people that I know
are able to use this program.  I'm sorry that it doesn't work for you, but
I really think that "unusable" should mean "unusable for most users", not
"unusable for Michael Sobolev".
  So do we have any information on just how widespread these problems are?  Are
they widespread enough to justify pulling a program which works acceptably for
other people?  How many people are able to use it?  (if I'm the only person able
to use the program, go ahead and pull it :) :) )

  (on a side note, gnomeicu's code is absolutely DISGUSTING, or at least it was
   last time I looked, so these are probably genuine bugs rather than local
   problems (perhaps triggered by particular user's environments), but until
   licq writes a frontend for the Gnome panel, I don't think there's any other
   ICQ client that plays nicely with Gnome)

  As for security holes, ICQ is just one big security hole.  (plaintext
passwords, security based on clients paying attention when asked not to do
things, etc..)

   important
              any other bug which makes the package unsuitable for release.

  That's pretty broad, but I don't see any reason it should apply here.

  And on a more technical note:
  Has anyone done backtraces to find out where it's segfaulting?

  Daniel

--
X is the second worst window system ever invented.
Everything else is tied for first.