Re: Archive is moving to auric / Incoming disabled

** On May 11, Jason Gunthorpe scribbled:

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Marek Habersack wrote:
>
> > > However, this is actually useless for mirroring so the point is moot
>
> > Oh, is it? And how about versioned mirroring, based on filenames?
>
> Who does that? Not us..
Me, for example. I used to mirror the Incoming directory from Sweden and the
program I used versioned the .deb packages using a regexp to check for
versions on file names. That way I only had the latest version of some
particular package while in the original directory there might've been older
ones downloading which was pointless.

> > Very unreliable stuff and also puts some strain on the server the data is
> > fetched from - if it has a large directory tree, regenerating lsR with every
> > change to the file system takes much time. With ftp the client just asks the
> > server for the listing and that's it.
>
> Uh... Let me ask you a question. What is cheaper, generating a ls-LR once
> when your archive changes or several hundred times each day for each
Depends on how you define a change... If you define it as one file
added/removed - then see below for my comment. If you define it as a
scheduled file system check once every 24 hours, then ls-LR is just fine,
with the exception that it will _never_ be up-to-date on a busy system (such
as Incoming with Debian)

> mirror. Particularly when it takes a good 4-5 mins to actually do a ls-LR
> :P
Well, say Joe is uploading some stuff. The server notices that, and takes
those 4-5 minutes to regenerate the ls-LR (the disk is spinning like mad).
The ls-LR is regenerated, but Mary is starting to upload something else two
minutes after Joe, when she ends, just one minute after the ls-LR has been
regenerated, server starts generating it once again. Another 4 minutes. And
so ad infinitum - a nice way for malicious people to DOS a server. Not to
mention that such listing is not accurate, it doesn need to reflect the
actual state of the file system. When generating the listing on demand, it
is _always_ accurate.

> The ftp client *should* already be using pre-generated ls-LRs.
I hope not...

marek