Re: Removing rsh-server is difficult

At Thu, 11 May 2000 20:59:43 +1000,
Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

> > > *I* know this. The average newbie or even experienced UNIXer that
> > > just doesn't know debian will not.
> >
> > Well, if it's not documented, then it should be.
> >
> > This is certainly not a task-x-window-system problem, it's a general
> > issue.  Any user who uses the task packages and then changes is
> > requirements will need to deinstall the task packages, so he needs to
> > know that's OK.
>
> just a suggestion, but maybe the task-* packages should Recommend other
> packages rather than Depend on them?
>
> that's assuming apt groks Recommends (and i've got a vague idea that it
> doesn't).
>
> alternatively, a "Virtual-Depends:" verb which works like "Depends:"
> when the package is first installed, but Suggests: or Recommends:
> afterwards.
>
> just some ideas off the top of my head.  probably not very good ones.

Just another idea.  How about removing task-* packages to remove
by itself in postinst?  Yes, it's not allowed to run dpkg from postinst
by lock problem, but it's possible to wait unlock in similar way in
update-menus, that is, fork child process and wait unlock, then
dpkg -r <the-task-package>.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI