Re: Archive is moving to auric / Incoming disabled

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 04:58:36AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 09:50:12AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > I really don't see why http would be worse then ftp.
> >
> > because fetching files from the US when you need them NOW adds
> > unnecessary delays to repairing a system that just got hosed by an
> > apt-get upgrade.
>
> This has still nothing to do with http compared to ftp.

i know. fetching a file with ftp from the US would be about as slow
as fetching with http (possibly slightly slower because ftp has more
overhead).

the issue is not whether ftp or http is faster or better, the issue is
that there aren't any mirrors of Incoming available any more and that
mirroring an http site sucks compared to mirroring an ftp site - the ftp
mirror tools are far more advanced and capable than web mirroring tools.

> HTTP is actually easier to automate as FTP.

sure, for snarfing an individual file just cut & paste the URL as a
command line argument for wget or snarf or something.

it isn't as easy or convenient for mirroring a directory or fetching
multiple files.

craig

--
craig sanders