Re: postgresql-6.5.3 (potato): Re: First Test Cycle starts today

I agree with those who have said that this is really an issue with
PostgreSQL rather than with Debian.  The upstream model is that databases
should be reduced to some sort of canonical storage, such as a flat dump,
and then reimported into the new format using the new binaries.

If it is any consolation, I have doubts that there are any serious users
of PostgreSQL still on slink.  In fact, PostgreSQL was (along with the
JDK) the main reason we decided to move to potato for production well
ahead of formal release.  There are such major differences between
PostgreSQL 6.3 and 6.5 that we absolutely had to have the new version.
Despite this, we have been able to stay away from 7.0 so far.

In effect, we already went through the procedure of upgrading from slink
to potato that you are worried about.  My view is that, from a Debian
Policy point of view, if the 6.3 binaries are required to do certain tasks
when the 6.5 package is installed, then the 6.3 binaries should be in the
6.5 package.  If they get removed and then reinstalled, this will work
despite being inelegant.  Another option would be to provide the 6.3
binaries as a special package in potato, rigged so that the files would be
installed where your prerm process puts them.  This way, only those who
are upgrading from 6.3 to 6.5 would need to install this package
containing the 6.3 binaries, and those doing a clean install would not.

By contrast, I tend to regard less favorably the indirect approaches which
have been discussed, such as adding hard links.

-- Mike