Trusting trust

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 09:43:42PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:
> No, at least because you would loose one of the benefits of free
> software.  For example, I imagine it's quite easy for a compiler to
> add a troyan to the binary - well, only in binaries big enough so that
> noone would ever notice...

ObRhetorical:  And there's not a trojan in gcc?   *winks*

The 'binary' could be your compiler, notes Ken Thompson.  Grep the web
for ``Reflections on Trusting Trust.''  There's a copy at the ACM's site.
It's a good read.

Just making noise.  Ignore this.
						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>     URL: http://web.chad.org/
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced".