Re: Q: Will the new Lilo be included into potato?

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

>     Robbe> * using a boot floppy
>
> Yup. Floppies die.

All things die. So?

Floppies can be recreated from a CD or the net.

> Many machines have terribly slow floppy drives,

That's a point. Floppy booting is enough for people like my father who
boot Linux once a week, but obviously it is not suitable for diaily
booting.

> or no floppy drive at all.

Then use the same way you booted Linux when installing.

>     Robbe> * having a small /boot partition before any non-Linux stuff
>
> Impossible if you already have Windows installed.

True - this happens to newbies.

>     Robbe> * using a loader different from Lilo
>
> If the install process did this, I would be happy; it doesn't. LILO,
> as difficult and ornery as it is, is not nearly as bizarre as some
> other loaders.

Basically the problem is that Lilo is the only bootloader where there
is a reasonably thorough process helping you set it up. For other
loaders, you'd have to bring-your-own-clue.

--
Robbe