Re: new-maintainer related mailing lists hosting + Debian lists search engine problems

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:04:27PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > The bug against lists.debian.org about the lists hasn't been filed yet.
> > The instructions on how to do it are at:
> > 	http://www.debian.org/devel/HOWTO_start_list
> >
> > Should I do it or will someone more acquinted with nm-{admin,discuss} do it,
> > please?
>
> I'm happy to do it (I did it for the tetex-maint list), but I'm
> waiting for the answer to the following question before I do:
>
> Should -nm-admin be called something like -nm-private (or
> -newmaint-private) and be accessible to developers only, to be used
> only for discussing personal information?  That would leave
> -nm-discuss for public issues such as the nm process itself or
> questions of how to confirm identity.

You have had my answer at least three times today, and several times in
the past.

> I'm keen on this: let me know the decision and I'll go ahead and apply
> early next week.  If we don't want to have a private list, I'm only
> going to ask for one list, because there doesn't seem to be much value
> in having two lists (does anyone notice the difference between -admin
> and -discuss?).

It seems I am unable to communicate that (for me) very important
difference. Let me try just one more time.

nm-admin is a private list. Only AMs can post there. This keeps the
conversations limited to AMs only.

To keep the process open, all traffic on nm-admin is CC'd to nm-discuss.
Anyone can subscribe to nm-discuss and see exactly what is going on in the
AM discussion. They can even make suggestions about how that process is
going without interrupting the conversation between the AMs. These
suggestions do not go unnoticed by the AMs as some of us keep tabs on this
list either through subscription or by looking at the archives.

This provides an adequate feedback mechanism; open communication of all
the actions taken by the AMs; and a degree of quiet for the AMs actual
working conversations.

If you can't see the advantages of this arrangement, then I don't know
what else I can say to you. <whine, whine, whine>

My vote is to maintain the exact structure we currently have with the nm-*
lists. In any case I am completely opposed to any private and closed list
arrangements for New Maintainer.

If you can find a way to live within those constraints I will gladly
accept your help in making the arrangements.

Waiting is,

Dwarf