Re: new-maintainer related mailing lists hosting + Debian lists search engine problems

As I have stated on more than one occasion: I tried to contact the
listmaster to negotiate a reasonable list structure, but no one returned
my posts.

This is the first time someone has told me I needed to submit a bug
against the mailing lists as an appropriate way to begin communication
with the listmaster over just what services can be provided.

We had this discussion on the nm-admin list at least once, and someone
volunteered to deal with it. So far ... no lists.

For that matter, we seem to be a bit at odds with just what kind of lists
we should have. Someone has been suggesting that we need a private list
that only the AMs can subscribe to, in order to discuss delicate matters
about our applicants. I'm afraid I don't see the application process
working very well if we are going to need to discuss the intimate details
of our applicant's lives in private in order to get our jobs done.

I'm strongly in favor of a completely open process. This seems very easy
to me as I don't need to know anything "private" about any applicant in
order to decide if his application is complete. That is, unless you
consider your name, e-mail address, and thoughts on free software to be
private matters between only yourself and your confessor. If this is the
case, you should probably not try any forms of group interaction ;-) and
certainly not Debian.

I like the way that our "private" list is CC'd to the public discussion
list. This keeps everyone who is interested, informed about just what is
going on. It allows them an accessible forum to discuss the developing
process that is accessible to the AMs without intruding on the
administrative list. This, to me, is the best compromise between being
open while trying to carry on a "closed" conversation.

Going behind opaque barriers would defeat one of the principle problems
this new process was meant to correct, so I am naturally opposed...

So, how much of this rant should I submit with my bug report?

Waiting is,