Re: new-maintainer related mailing lists hosting + Debian lists search engine problems

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 10:15:44PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
[...]
> I'm strongly in favor of a completely open process.
[...]

I agree with all you said. (snipped to not to waste bandwidth)

The quality assurance people (one of those I am, too :) have tried doing
their work on two mailing lists, debian-qa and debian-qa-private (that
actually wasn't private but moderated, readonly for non-QA-committee). The
reason for the second list was to have a list where people could CC: their
messages and that needed extra attention, regarding some problems with
maintainers or something... Anyway, after a few months we concluded that we
don't really need the second list, and that we can do everything we need on
one list.

I'm not sure does this completely resemble the current new-maintainer group
situation, but I guess you wont need more than one list. Things that really
need to be done in private (e.g. giving snail-mail address or phone numbers
or whatever) can be done without mailing lists, anyway.

> So, how much of this rant should I submit with my bug report?

> > The bug against lists.debian.org about the lists hasn't been filed yet.
> > The instructions on how to do it are at:
> > 	http://www.debian.org/devel/HOWTO_start_list

I propose just following the instructions on the web page, they're quite
straightforward. :)

Although, you need to pick a different name for the new list. Perhaps
debian-nm, debian-new-maint, debian-nm-discuss...?