Re: OT to Debian [Was: RFC/ITP: Constitution of Finland]

Bob Hilliard writes:

>      /usr/lib/bible.data (from the bible-kjv-data package) is
> compressed data in a format that can't be read with generic tools,
> and, presumably, is keyed for fast retrieval by the /usr/bin/bible and
> /usr/bin/randverse programs.

OK, I have to ask. How long ago was this compressed, keyed format
implemented? Is there *really* a noticeable speed difference on a
reasonably modern computer? Are there any space savings compared to
gzip?

Argue with me, I might just get fed up enough to do a benchmark ;-)
[Atheist downloads bible packages! Film at 11.]

--
Written with 100% free software. Please support the following websites:
www.debian.org www.noamazon.com www.gnu.org www.opendvd.org lpf.ai.mit.edu