Re: RC-bugs, horizons and all that...

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 12:30:42AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> > > I can't install potato on the large range of machines here and people
> > > involved with Debian already start telling me about how wonderful Woody
> > > works on their laptop.
> > Identify the package in question and file a RC bug on it requesting that the
> > critical bugfix gets backported to potato.
>
>  The situation is really awful.. it gets me nervous.. =)
>  People think very differente about the meaning of freeze.
>  There are some maintainers that upload to *woody* these kind of bug fixes:
>
>   * Fixed /usr/doc/ link..
>   * Fixed documentantion.
>   * Many small fixes that it's obvious are needed and are so trivial that
>     won't compromise anything.
>
>   ARRG!! WHAT'S THE POINT IN FREEZING! We could name this SNAPSHOTTING then.
> =/
>
>  I could give real examples, but I don't want to offend anybody...

Yeah, some people think only fixes for critical bugs are allowed in frozen,
and OTOH some people think new upstream bugfix releases are allowed in
frozen...

I think we should just try to upload any bugfixing stuff to frozen, too, and
let Richard decide whether it's bound to break stuff or not.

Yes, obvious reply to this would be that it would put too much load on the
poor release manager :) And yes, the obvious reply to that reply would be:
get more people to be release managers :)