Re: Pgcc in Deb

Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > No arch/cpu-related optimizations are being set by default in most of the
> > packages. Perhaps there are a few exceptions, where the upstream settings
> > use optimization, or where the Debian maintainer has changed it, I don't
> > know.
>
> I see. I'd like to stress that my original claim about 50% is perfectly
> valid, and I think that's sufficiently large to demand some action.

No, your claim was from egcs to pgcc; however you were not comparing
apples to apples.  You were comparing egcs set to 386 mode to pgcc,
which is not a fair comparison.  Nor have you geven even a glimmer of
a hint to the points raised about bugs in pgcc, nor the extreme amount
of additional resources required, nor the overall negligable
performance increase.  We have very few packages that perform
CPU-intensive tasks; far more are I/O intensive, and aggressive
pentium optimization is by no means going to make any difference even
with the fastest of SCSI disks.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
  via Remote