Re: Pgcc in Deb

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 07:29:34PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:
> Eray Ozkural wrote:
> >
> > Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > No arch/cpu-related optimizations are being set by default in most of the
> > > packages. Perhaps there are a few exceptions, where the upstream settings
> > > use optimization, or where the Debian maintainer has changed it, I don't
> > > know.
> >
> > I see. I'd like to stress that my original claim about 50% is perfectly
> > valid, and I think that's sufficiently large to demand some action.
> > It by no means implies that people with true i386's won't be able to
> > run Debian, it just gives a turbo option to people with pentiums.
>
> I don't think that is true (anymore?)  Some compilation options can
> (should) take advantage of features (instructions) that the newer CPUs
> support that the older ones don't.  NT, for instance, will not run on a
> 386 chip.  Not [simply] because it's far too slow, but because it uses
> the XCHG (I think) instruction, which the 386 does not have.  There are
> distinct benefits to compiling for a newer chip than a base-model.  I
> personally would like to have a dist specific to my Athlon if there are
> GCC optimizations for its pipeline and cache.
>
> Now, the biggest complaint is obviously resource constraints.  Maybe
> it's just not practical for every package to be compiled for a 386 and
> for an Intel Pentium and an AMD Athlon and an Intel Pentium-III, etc.  I
> wonder if package pools (are these being adopted for sure?) would help.
> >From my understanding, there will be many versions of packages saved,
> not just stable and latest, and Packages.gz is updated to reflect links
> to working versions.  If so, could this be further amended to include
> optimizations?
>
> Ie:
>
> i386/Packages.gz -> i386/i386/Packages.gz
> i386/i386/Packages.gz <- lowest common denominator
> i386/i486/Packages.gz <- i486 optimized packages, with i386 packages
>                          substituted for packages without i486 opts
> i386/k6/Packages.gz   <- same as i486, for AMD K6[-[2|3]] chips
> ...etc.
>
> ?
>
> This would be nice if possible (I assume that there is some sort of
> automatic generation of Packages.gz with a package pool implementation)
> assuming that the condition where 'xyz-1.1 exists in i486 and xyz-1.1.1
> exists in i386 but not i486' can be resolved.
>
> I'm not a developer and am not familiar with the process; if packages
> are automatically compiled from source on each architecture after being
> submitted to incoming then this isn't really an issue, but seeing that
> the alpha often lags behind i386 in package versions it doesn't seem
> that this happens.  But in light of this, I'll just read what others say
> - I just would like to add that I think it's good to optimize for later
> chips if possible ...
>
> regards,
> Christopher

Well, it sounds like what we need is some group independant from debian,
that is willing to take the pototo source CD's once they are released, and
compile a new version optomized for specific architectures.  Maybee have
it instead be a seperate CD that you can just apt-get upgrade to, and
it will upgrade you to all the optomized packages.  I dunno, i'm just
rambling i guess :)

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.