Re: New shmfs and Debian

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 08:55:48PM +0200, Grendel wrote:
> ** On Apr 03, Tom Lees scribbled:
>
> > > sure than at some point, after potato is released, people will try to use
> > > 2.4.x and some of them can face problems when their applications won't be
> > > able to use the shared memory.
The real question is where should we mount shm.
Even L.K. Seems divided, on that question.
Some think /var/shm, others /dev/shm, and still others /shm.
I think /shm is the simplest least intrusive.

> > Maybe we should add a script to base-files which mounts /var/shm depending
> > on whether the current kernel needs it... probably easier than messing
> > around writing script to automatically edit /etc/fstab.
> It has to be mounted before any scripts are run from init.d - some of the
> started programs might need SystemV IPC - you never know. More, the /var/shm
> must be mounted _after_ /var us mounted (if such is the case). The only
> reasonable place for this is /etc/fstab. And it should be done before potato
> goes out, because chances are it will coincide with the release of 2.4.0.
>
> marek
Agreed; Samba for one does not run without shm being mounted.
And lots of others.

As a side note ppp changed too,
There is a device called ppp now.

	mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

The Modules changed too.

	alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
        alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async

how do we handle module aliasing for different version of the kernel?

--
*--* Mail: lawrence@otak.com
*--* Voice: 425.739.4247