Re: Encryption Builds

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 04:46:29AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 02:28:49PM -0800, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > Can anyone refresh my memory as to the legality of encryption-enabled builds
> > of software inside the U.S.  Did we (like Kernel.org) decide it was okay to
> > host this in U.S.-based servers, or are we still recommending
> > that members of the free world do such builds?
> >
> > If the answer is to not build inside the U.S., I need a non-US developer
> > to help me build a SSL module for AOLserver.
>
> A flamewar on -private between myself, Manoj, and Ben Collins led to the
> conclusion that it's not yet safe to distribute crypto in the U.S.  I
> posted another message to -devel a few minutes ago with more information.

I think what he is asking is if it's ok for him to build it and upload it
to non-US. IMO, this is perfectly legitimate, but who knows for sure.
Given that RedHat now includes GnuPG in it's 6.2 distribution, I'm
thinking he can do it.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '