Re: blue on black is unreadable

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 12:54:39AM +0100, Wouter Hanegraaff wrote:
> >  Oh crap, you're right.  I wasn't thinking on that one.  Oh well, I guess
> > somebody will have to find good colour combinations for every colour
> > package.
>
> I can do that. Black on white. Proven to work
> perfectly for centuries. Or do you only read books with white letters on
> a black background, or all sorts of colors for differently styled
> text???

You betray profound ignorance.

The pages of books (most of them, anyway) do not emit their own light.
They are reflective only.  CRT's generate light.

If black-on-white xterms work fine for you, that's great.  It's YOUR system
and your choice.  But your rationale betrays little understanding of the
phsyiological/ergonomic issues involved.

> Is there a reason why xterm defaults to color xterm? In slink it
> does, on potato it's changed all of a sudden.

The recent potato xterm packages change precious little from upstream
behavior.  You have a beef with it, take it up upstream.

> Why does debian have to be different than the rest of the world in
> everything? Why do I get colors when I set TERM=xterm? there was already
> xterm-color and xterm-debian which could do colors.

You get colors when TERM=xterm because upstream says so.  Any Linux
distribution with a brain in its head uses XFree86 xterm for its version of
xterm.  nxterm is a piece of shit.

If you want an X11R5-compatible xterm, use TERM=xterm-r5.

Read /usr/share/doc/xterm/README.Debian and
/usr/share/doc/xterm/xterm.faq.html for more information.

> Right now, I have to set my TERM to xterm-mono on potato to avoid
> fruitsalads in a handful of programs I use very often (Mutt, dselect,
> vim). That is very annoying, because it results in broken terminal
> settings when I login to *any* other system. Maybe I'm the only one who
> hates colors in xterms, but still. It should be possible to use xterms
> without colors in a normal way, and right now it isn't.

It is, you just haven't bothered to read any documentation on the subject.

> Please leave *personal* configuration to the *user*, and leave the system
> configuration to some reasonable, _very_ conservative defaults.

I agree with this statement but not the baggage you attach to it.

As far as I'm concerned, "conservative" means "upstream behavior."

If upstream changes, I'll track those changes unless there is a very good
reason not to (for instance, Debian policy).  You desire to keep
compatibility with a version of xterm that is ten years old is not a very
good reason to accomodate you in the Debian defaults.

Read that FAQ.  Features have been added to xterm by Thomas Dickey, but the
only changes that break compatibility have been bugfixes.  I'm sorry if
you've grown attached to some of X11R5's bugs.

Please keep replies out of my personal mailbox.  I read the lists.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     Convictions are more dangerous enemies
Debian GNU/Linux               |     of truth than lies.