Re: blue on black is unreadable

>  Oh crap, you're right.  I wasn't thinking on that one.  Oh well, I guess
> somebody will have to find good colour combinations for every colour
> package.

I can do that. Black on white. Proven to work
perfectly for centuries. Or do you only read books with white letters on
a black background, or all sorts of colors for differently styled
text???

> > > Is there a reason why /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm defaults to black on white

Is there any reason not to? But a more interesting question is the
following:

Is there a reason why xterm defaults to color xterm? In slink it
does, on potato it's changed all of a sudden. Which is probably the
reason I started this thread by filing a bug report against mutt's
default colors. (see http://duckman.blub.net/~wouter/muttdefaults.png)

>  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not many people actually like
> "black" on "white", or vice versa.

Well, I do, as you know by now :)

> Maybe the default should be
> fg: black,  bg: blanchedAlmond  which works the same as black on white for
> configuration of colours in programs, but which doesn't strain the eyes.

NO!!!

Why does debian have to be different than the rest of the world in
everything? Why do I get colors when I set TERM=xterm? there was already
xterm-color and xterm-debian which could do colors.

Right now, I have to set my TERM to xterm-mono on potato to avoid
fruitsalads in a handful of programs I use very often (Mutt, dselect,
vim). That is very annoying, because it results in broken terminal
settings when I login to *any* other system. Maybe I'm the only one who
hates colors in xterms, but still. It should be possible to use xterms
without colors in a normal way, and right now it isn't.

Please leave *personal* configuration to the *user*, and leave the system
configuration to some reasonable, _very_ conservative defaults.

Wouter.

--
Wat voor een paperclip geldt, geldt in wezen ook voor een server.
- Compaq over de nieuwste ProLiant servers