Re: [dickey@clark.net: Re: http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=59191]

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 07:56:07PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 03:38:34PM +0100, Santiago Vila écrivait:
> > Perhaps we should open the Bug System to upstream maintainers by adding a
> > flag to every package. If this flag is on, reports are automatically
> > forwarded to a given upstream email address. I'm sure many upstream
> > authors would ask this flag to be enabled for their packages, even if this
> > means a small percentage of received bugs happen to be packaging bugs
> > which would not have to be forwarded in normal circumstances.
>
> I can't believe it, usually I don't agree with you but here I do ! That's a
> pretty good idea. I'm sure that for most of the packages, there aren't
> that much Debian specific bugs and since the author can choose I don't see
> a reason not to implement it. Even better anybody should be able to
> register himself in the BTS so that he'll get all the bugreports for
> a specific package (or source package, but that's something more difficult
> to implement I guess) ... this would allow several maintainer to maintain
> the same package without using an alias or a list.

Following a specific bug request and/or a specific package is always a
feature I would like to see in the BTS. Currently, the only way to follow
a bug already mentions on the BTS is to make a new bug report and merge it
to the old. Having the possibilities to add someone to a specific bug
reply will make it possible to form a bug test team for all people who
has the same bug, and will greatly help to follow specific policy amendment
(and futurely QA tasks ;) without necessarely being subscribe to the
specific mailing lists.

> Adding to this the possibility to have architecture specific bugs, and
> distribution specific bugs, and we'll have the best BTS around the world.
> Ok, who does it ? ;-)

We should at least report it has a wish list against debbugs. Hmm...
it's already done by Lars (bug# 34071) and has more than a year already
(03-03-1999). Seems the idea wasn't that original ;)

> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/
> <pub> CD Debian : http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~raphael/debian/#cd
>       Formations Linux et logiciels libres : http://www.logidee.com </pub>

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70