[dickey@clark.net: Re: http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=59191]

Here is one more response that I got from the gentleman....

----- Forwarded message from "T.E.Dickey" <dickey@clark.net> -----

From: "T.E.Dickey" <dickey@clark.net>
Subject: Re: http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=59191
To: gecko@benham.net (Darren O. Benham" <gecko@benham.net>)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 100 17:39:39 -0500 (EST)

> > and the interface doesn't provide me a way to respond other than by saving
> > the text to a file, cutting & pasting the address - nor do I see a regular
> > practice of forwarding those reports upstream...).
>
> No, not from the web page.  The BTS is primarily an email system.  I'm
> working on making it more CGI accessable.. and then I might be able to do
> something like providing an email address that links to the bug (it's the
> bug number@bugs.debian.org).  I actually liked the idea (honestly).  I was
> put off by your tone..=20

I'm rather irritable on Fridays, but I bark more than bite.

> Anyway... there is a second problem you mentioned that deserves to be
> addressed.  Bugs should either be dealt with by the maintainer (if they're
> involved with mods they made or the packaging) or the bugs are supposed to
> be forwarded upstream (with a patch if one is available).  That is part of
> the Debian philosophy.

I estimate that I get notified of less than 5% of the bugs.  The web interface
is useful, but awkward.  (I've been following it for a year or so - don't
recall when someone first pointed me to it - but most of the bugs on the
list haven't been mentioned to me until I asked the maintainer about it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
dickey@clark.net

----- End forwarded message -----