Re: cannot login in xdm anymore (upgrade potato -> potato)

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 10:45:37AM -0600, Carlo Segre wrote:
> >       Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> >       Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> >       xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
[...]
> I have seen a similar symptom on 1 out of three computers that I have
> running potato.  In my case, I am not running xdm but gdm and I am able
> to log in and run any X applications from the GUI but if I try to run one
> from a command line in a a terminal, I get the same message.

Well, terminal sessions that aren't children of the X session don't inherit
$DISPLAY.  If $DISPLAY is not set, these programs don't even know where to
look for a server to connect to.  Some might default to :0.0.

> This happens only when I am using a Gnome session.  With a Debian session
> it works fine.  Furthermore, as root there are no problems.  Since I am
> seeing this on one of three machines which are presumabley set up in the
> same way, I am presuming that it is some incorrect configuration file
> somewhere.  If anyone has an insight, I would appreciate it.  My next
> move is to purge all X packages and reinstall...

Please see the section in the Debian X FAQ[1] about the XAUTHORITY environment
variable.

[1] /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux               |    screaming mob pounding on a greasy spot